First, let me say that I am a faithful dental appointment keeper. I make sure we all go every six months no matter what. I am obsessed with my teeth not falling out. I have dreams of them all getting wiggly and falling out in my hand and then I try to stick them back in and it makes matters worse by making others fall out as well. Even though I loved losing my teeth as a child, I have become increasingly grossed out by my children losing theirs. Would you believe that I am even obsessed with other people's teeth, wondering if they have had this or that dental procedure?

Tuesday I got another filling. I did better than last time.. I did not need "assistance" to overcome my anxiety. The negative this time? They used a rubber dam. When I got a fearful expression on my face, the dental assistant was surprised to know I had never had one before (I have a mouthful of fillings). She said that I could choose to forgo it, but it is easier for them. I said I'd try. Let me just interject here that I do not like having new things popped on me like that.
So. The assistant starts putting this THING across my mouth. It was horrible! I felt like she was cutting off my airway..I felt my tongue swelling! I felt my heart racing and my forehead beading with sweat..I couldn't breathe! I started thinking about how EVERYONE has this thing on them and they do not die..they are not afraid..they are not a BABY about it. boohoo!
I had to figure out a way to get through this. I wish I could tell you that I prayed and God comforted me. That would have been the appropriate way to handle my anxiety. Instead "Put on your big girl panties and suck it up!" went through my mind. I do not know why! I don't even know where it came from...but it helped. I calmed down and just waited for it to be over.
It took 6 hours for the Novocaine to wear off. I should have eaten breakfast....boohoo some more! By 4pm, I had a raging headache...as I cannot go that long without protein with out suffering.
My next appointment is scheduled for February.

1 comment:
I tagged you on my blog! :o) Stop by to get the info. :o)
Post a Comment