Tuesday, September 16, 2008

John Adams


We are studying American History this year.

Here is a quote from a children's book called The Revolutionary John Adams by Cheryl Harness.



"I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States - Yet through all the Gloom I can see Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will triumph."

John Adams, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 3, 1776


"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."
John Adams to Abigail Adams, April 26, 1777


In light of the political landscape this election year, we would do good to remember and take to heart the vision of our founding Fathers.

No comments: