Sunday, September 14, 2008

Milestones


As I was getting food ready to take to the pot-luck after second service, I heard my 14 year old discussing numbers with her 7 year sister. I got to hear the little one figure out what comes after 29...and then 39..and 49 and so on! I was very excited because this is the little dear who, last year, had to count on her fingers to figure out how old she was on her latest birthday..months after it passed.



This same dearie got up and dressed down to her sandals and had even done her hair and packed her purse just 5 minutes after I woke her! This is what happens when you grow up with three teenage sisters .


Next. Holding onto the almost three year old dear "baby" boy during church, I hear him saying "g" "o".."g" "o".."go" I turn around, and sure enough, on a banner behind us there is a banner that says "GOD" in capital block letters. (Meaning the "D" looks like an "O") I was proud. This evening,we were in the same situation, I was holding him and he was looking behind and saying "JOEY" "JOEY" after a minute of this I looked around to see what in the world he was talking about. Lo and behold, on the chalk board was "JOE" JOEY..of course! This is what happens when a little guy intently watches a 5 year old and a 7 year old have reading lessons everyday (and watches Super Why! everyday on PBS!)



Then there was the pot-luck.
Short version, 5 year old son accidentally bumps his 1/3 full cup of Sprite all over himself. Poor honey..the amazing thing was..he didn't YELL..he didn't cry or otherwise make any sound at all..he sat there let me wipe him off a little..and if that weren't wonderful enough, he didn't freak out when I whispered to him that I didn't have an extra change of clothes for him. I offered to take his pants off, put the 2 year old's shorts on him (they'd fit fine) and let the 2 year old run around in undies, but he said "No thank you." This is what happens when God is gracious..because if you knew this dear son, this whole CALM scene was nothing short of miraculous. I was thankful for how far he has come.

I got him another Sprite and told him to be careful not to spill this on on himself too..so he accidentally bumped it and spilled it all over me. You'll be happy to know I did not scream either..and was thankful I'd worn a black polyester dress..and the wetness didn't show at all. The women at the table next to us were very amused.

No comments: