Friday, January 2, 2009

Pictures of #10

Well, I went in to Duke Perinatal today for my level 2 ultrasound. It is a requirement (of the drs where I go these days) for moms over 35. They like to check for all sorts of genetic abnormalities, especially Downs and tri-somy 18, as well as spina bifida and other spine and brain issues. Since an ultrasound is non-invasive, I elected to go ahead so that if the baby did have something that obviously wrong, we could deliver at a better equipped hospital. The ultrasound itself last about a half an hour. The radiologist told us what she was looking for each time she measured something and long story short, she found no markers at all for any of the difficulties they watch for. The geneticist further comforted us by noting that based soley on statistics alone, the chances that our baby will be healthy are about as good as they can be this side of delivery! This is such a huge relief to me at this point! I know that things can still go wrong, but I was very worried that the anxiety medicine I was on when I got pregnant had depleted my folic acid stores (one of its side effects) and that because my morning sickness was so bad this time and I didn't even get the usual two weeks of vitamins in before the sickness started, I was sure I did not have enough to ensure the proper spinal cord and brain development. Here is a picture of our newest munchkin:
The baby is now 6" long and still due to arrive the beginning of June. It never ceases to amaze me how miraculous baby making is. People talk about how THEY decided to get pregnant and THEY ate the proper foods and THEY had the proper health care and THEY did this and that and that is why they have this baby. While all the scientific knowledge certainly can aid in bringing a healthy baby to term...there is no way this happens without the hand of God. I cry every single time I see those pictures at the wonder of it all. So very many things have to go right for us to hold babies in our arms, it is a miracle anyone gets to have one, let alone us with ten. Ten. Holy Spumoni Batman..how on earth can that be true??? I can't believe I get to cuddle and love another little honeypie! I don't even mind the puke...or the diapers. I just hope for some sleep so I can be patient and nice.

Oh..you want to know what it is? Well, see for yourself:


And now the question is...what to name this fine young gentleman? The kids have all voted already and completely agree. Dad and me just have to make up OUR minds!

3 comments:

Rachel D said...

For those curious minds, we all decided on the name David. THIS IS THE NAME, THE CHILDREN HAVE SPOKEN

Unknown said...

Then ... David Timothy it is. Bring forth the baby David to be named. :-)

Tracey said...

David is a WONDERFUL name! Hanna says the ultrasound pictures are cool. ;)