Saturday, October 18, 2008

Milk

Several years back, when Winn Dixie was still in NC, we had a great thing going. The dairy department guy would save expiring items for dh and we'd get milk for $1 a gallon and cheese for a song. Yogurt and biscuits and sometimes even eggs were included. When Winn Dixie closed our grocery budget took a big hit. Dear husband asked at several other grocery stores about their policy and the stores HAD to throw away items that had reached their expiration date even though if you bought them they still have a shelf life of at least a week..longer if frozen. They HAD to because they got some kind of credit with their distributor that was worth more to them than selling it "mark-down."

Yesterday, dh was picking up 6 gallons of "mark-down" chocolate milk at Sav-A-Lot. The dairy dept. manager saw him and asked how he was going to drink all that milk. Dh explained that we have 9 kids and it would be gone within the week. The manager's face lit up and asked if he often bought mark down milk..even on its expiration date.. and dh explained that we buy it whenever we find it and if we can't drink it within a week, we freeze it. The manager said that he'd save milk for us and sell it to us for $.99 a gallon!!!! Normal price here is between $3.69-$3.99 a gallon! Woo hoo! Thank you God for Mr. Sav-A-Lot dairy department manager! We easily drink a gallon a day, more if we have chocolate milk to add in.


4 comments:

Brenda said...

Why am I not surprised?! LOL! That's fantastic. When I worked at the elementary school last year it drove me NUTS to see all the unopened cartons of milk that got thrown in the trash day after day. We were not allowed to retrieve them for ourselves. Same with juice (though there wasn't that much thrown away), pudding cups, and jello cups. What a waste!

Anonymous said...

yay!!!! we haven't reached the daily gallon point yet, but we drink enough that we keep joking about buying a cow

Cheryl said...

That is a great turn of events! It's so awesome when things come together. I'm happy for you!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! A friend of mine dh is the manager of our SAL. I hardly ever go there though...I prefer aldi. I wonder if my connections could help us get cheep milk? lol Like Angie, I talk about getting a cow...lol