Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Two Causes I support wholeheartedly

I just returned from giving blood. Everyone in my family is O- blood type...the universal donor for everyone. Donated blood has saved the lives of my sil 2x over, at least one of her kids, my father-in-law, another sil. I am ever grateful for the kindness of those who donated blood for them. The way I think of it is this..Jesus shed his blood for me..His blood gave me life everlasting. I am glad to give just a little of my blood (without any of the suffering He bore) to help save the life (in an earthly way) of someone in this life. They told me today that my blood will be given to babies! That made my day. www.givelife.org


Ok. Next...this may sound controversial, but let me explain:

I support Stem Cell research.

I do NOT support using aborted BABIES to accomplish this.

Have you heard of cord blood banking? In advertisements, you are urged to save your baby's cord blood in case s/he comes down with a devastating illness The stem cells in that blood can be used to save his life. I am not talking about this either, as it is VERY expensive to do this.

I am talking about DONATING it.
When you give birth, the nurse or doctor can collect the blood from the umbilical cord, which would otherwise be thrown away, and send it away for use by OTHER babies, children or adults. It is completely free. A painless donation to save the life of another. I do not understand why ob/gyns everywhere do not address this! NONE of that life-giving blood need be thrown away! Now, it does take a little effort and preplanning on the part of the mom. (This is why it doesn't happen as much as it should, I think)
  • The pregnant woman has to contact the company who does this 3 months in advance.
  • She needs to fill out some paperwork and get a medical report AND signature from her ob/gyn.
  • She will receive a kit in the mail that she must take to the hospital with her
  • AND when she arrives at the hospital, she must alert the nurses and remind the dr that this is her intention and hand them the box.
If any of these steps are not followed, the donation will not be able to take place...and with the unpredictability of when and how babies are born, sometimes it happens. But I think it is worth a good try!


No comments: