Recently, on a Lutheran Homeschooling list to which I subscribe, there has been a discussion about how much material we, as homeschoolers, cover over the course of our children's education. This is frequent conversation among homeschoolers and reflects the guilt every homeschool mom I know (including myself) wrestles with on a regular basis.
Today, I feel successful! I know we are going to have an awesome week! We will actually memorize that hymn stanza...we will actually review the catechism..master multiplication facts..memorize the names of all the presidents in order! Oh wait, it is Monday morning and the kids are not even up yet.

Many years ago, when we first started homeschooling, we'd determined that the overarching reason we wanted to pursue this educational option, was so that our children would be able to grow up steadfast in the One true Faith. We did not believe that they should face the constant assaults on the Truth of God's Word and indeed, on the family, until firmly grounded. We wanted them to know, without a shadow of a doubt, that not only did we love them, but that God loved them; that no matter what they'd hear and see on tv and in society, we, as their parents, would love and care for them more than anyone in this world and they could always count on us to support them, forgive them and teach them the Truth. We wanted to feed them the Word..in the Scriptures, catechism and hymns.
THIS is The One Thing Needful. Everything else is gravy.
I have given this "pep talk" to others many times. I have heard it given many times! And yet, I find that while I can give the speech that I believe with my whole being..I still wrestle daily with the "I should haves", "I wish we dids" and the "Look how much we haven't accomplished todays" Why can't I live under the Grace God gives?????? The freedom we have in Christ?
I need to be forgiven for comparing myself, our school and our family to other homeschoolers, other public schools and what the edu-crats say is best, and rejoice in what I HAVE been given..taking care of what He has given me to do today and remembering that there is no failure of mine that is bigger than His power to repair. (I think I'll have to be forgiven for that sin more than once!)


No comments:
Post a Comment