Sunday, August 23, 2009

Luke 18:9-14




Today's sermon was of particular interest to me today. You know the story, the one where the Pharisee and the tax collector pray and Jesus only hears that of the sinner/tax collector. Jesus does not even acknowledge that of the upstanding lay-leader in the church.



I was thinking about how being a wife and mother is probably the most humbling vocation one can have. I see my own failures at every turn. How submissive a wife I am NOT, if not outwardly certainly inwardly. How patient I am NOT, how compassionate I am NOT, how content in all things I am NOT and last but not least how bad I am at communicating. In case you wondered, I really hate seeing my own failures at every turn. I hate for them to be pointed out too. I find myself repeating, "Lord have mercy" many times each day.

The vocation into which God has placed me has allowed me to desperately cling to Christ's promises to be with me always. His promise to never give me more t
han I can handle and to always give me the things I need to support this body and life. Failure or even the feelings of failure enable me to see my need for help, my need for Christ and His mercy. Why then do we ever strive to help our kids NOT have failure? We do not want them to have a hard life. I know that I do not wish that for my children! I need to remember that He works through weakness. In fact, the Scriptures remind us the His power is made perfect in weakness! Christ became weak at the cross for our eternal salvation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lauri, I needed to read this tonight!

Tracey said...

I love reading your blog!! It always makes me feel better and reminds me that I am not alone. ((((HUGS))))