We get to the name "Agamemnon" and he did not even flinch as he read it fluently. I asked, "Agamemnon? You could read Agamemnon??" "Yes, Mom, I know this story!" (Huh? You do??? How can you know this story when you refuse to read and I am always finding you watching Disney Channel???) So I ask, "How do you know this story??"
"Mom, you know High School Musical? Well, there is a guy on that show named Troy. That is not his real name. He picked it for himself because when he was a little boy, his dad used to read to him a story about Agamemnon. Troy was the name of where the battle was fought and he thought that would be a cool name to have."

So there you go. He doesn't really KNOW the story of Odysseus, but he knows there is a story which is more than I can say for myself at that age. It was a point of reference that made him excited to read the books, so I am happy.
I cannot count the number of times this has happened over the years when I have gone to teach something and they already knew it from some other place in their daily lives....tv, video game, comic book or some other "unacceptable" place.

4 comments:
:D
The books were pure junk and I don't particularly want my daughters to read them, but I learned an awful lot of trivia from the Babysitters Club.
The Mary Pope Osborne books? Why?
Here is another dilemma I have. I do not love children's Bibles because they leave so much out or word things in such a way that they get it all wrong. (ie-God saved Noah because of his obedience. Obedience is not righteousness.)
So I wonder if authors do that to the Scriptures, how do adaptations or retellings mutilate the classics?
No, the Babysitters Club! :D
OOOOOOOOOH! :) Gotcha.
Post a Comment