Sunday, March 17, 2013

Burial clothes

During church today, I had an inspiration as I was singing the hymn, "My Song is Love Unknown." It is one of my very favorite hymns and I was debating whether or not I wanted it to be sung at my funeral. (I often think about that during hymns....)

In case you have never heard it, or want to hear it again..here it is with the stanzas.



Anyway!
As you can tell, my mind wanders a bit during church..and it is no longer due to having babies and toddlers in the pew. 

Back to my original thought. I was thinking about my funeral. My mom told my sister and I years ago that she wanted to be buried in either the dress she wore at my wedding or Lisa's.  Ever since that time, I've always wondered what *I* should wear when the time comes.

I finally know. And I am very, very happy.  I want to wear my wedding dress.



The Church is the bride of Christ. He bought her with His Blood to be His own..despite her continual unfaithfulness. He suffered on her behalf. He protected her from sin, death and the power of the devil. His whole life was a life of service for her. He  purchased her wedding garments of pure holiness with His blood. He is the One who prepares a feast for her. It is all about His giving up everything for her safety and care. She, as unworthy as she is, is precious in His sight.

When I was 20, I spent many, many months obsessing over this subject. I was convinced I would never marry. (Stop laughing.) After reading my Bible constantly on all the things God's Word had to say about marriage, I was surprised to find out that we are Christ's bride! I was blown away! I was finally content. No more disappointing guys for me. (Stop laughing, really, it is getting embarrassing.)

So there it is. I want to be a picture of the Bride of Christ while I lie in that temporary tomb. I want all to know that like Lazarus, on the Last Day, when He calls for me and indeed His Church, to come forth, He will raise me up in the robe of righteousness as His Word proclaims.

(Don't worry, I will cut away much of it to use for baptism gowns and ring bearer pillows etc! No need putting all that expensive fabric in a hole in the ground!)



No comments: